Growth Needs Assessment
Journey 4 was contracted by Amey Severn Trent to lead the People, Engagement and Culture (PEC) workstream as part of the transformation of the £60m pa Severn Trent wastewater services contract.
The following outputs and deliverables were agreed:
- Culture assessment and change readiness
- Employee engagement and communications
- Capacity and capability
Journey4 provided both a capability and cultural transformation, recognising that customer focus would be the key to transforming the business to be fit for the future.
Journey4 created a People Engagement and Culture (PEC) working group, made up from people across the organisation, in different roles and levels. The working group identified 70 improvement ideas which we translated into 24 improvement projects.
We engaged with the organisation, managing change with them, rather than doing change to them. We developed their capability, not ours, as we implemented cultural change projects led by the staff. These improved levels of employee engagement, during a period of significant change, and we were able to embed those changes, so that the culture remained long after we had left.
Impact of our work
A summary benefit that was realised throughout the PEC programme is as follows;
- During this period of significant change employee engagement scores increased.
- Increased focus on Customer Experience achieved in readiness for Amp7
- Closer alignment with Severn Trent on strategic objectives with joint work on developing a collaborative culture with Amey.
- Employee involvement across all functions and levels including new communities such as the Leadership Forum, working groups and focus groups
- Internal communications function and rolling communications plan, including fortnightly newsletter (‘Download’) established
- Employee a*STAR Awards relaunched and first ‘End of Year Celebrations’ held
- Employee Survey completion increased from 62% to 96%
- Employee satisfaction for Health and Safety (95%), Customer Focus (79%), Engagement (79%) all above Utilities average